Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Andhra Cauliflower Pickle - Crispy and Tangy

 Andhra pickles always taste spicy and lip smacking . No wonder that there are 100's of variations and varieties in pickles.

I first heard about cauliflower pickle in Hyderabad
When I made this pickle at home, Mahesh loved it extremely and finished one large bottle in just 1 week. Even today he insists me to do cauliflower pickle, when I say that I would try other pickle this time :)

The aroma of ginger- garlic enhances the taste of the pickle. Goes well with parathas and hot rice :)



This pickle was taught to me by my friend Kavita. Later we all gathered at one of my friends place at our apartment and made this pickle . We took step by step clicks, to publish in my blog.

 I told them I would be posting it pretty soon but I took very long time, as my other posts were in queue :(
So today its the Cauliflower pickle turn.

Ingredients: 
 Cauliflower - 1
 Red Chilli  powder - 1/2 cup
Salt - Little less than 1/2 cup
Garlic cloves - 8 - 10
Ginger 1 " - 4 -5
turmeric - 1 tsp
Lime - 1 (small - 2)

(To be roasted slightly and powdered)
 Mustard seeds - 2 Tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp

For Seasoning:
Oil - 5 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tbsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Dried red chillies - 5 -6

Method:
1) Separate the florets  into small pieces , wash them properly and allow it to dry on a clean  napkin cloth and put them in a large  dry bowl.


2) Roast the above  mentioned ingredients (mustard, cumin and fenugreek seeds) and powder them. Grind ginger garlic to a coarse paste.

3) In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients. This helps to taste the mix and modify salt- chilli mixture according to your  taste.
4) Add this mix to the florets.

5) Finally prepare the tempering and allow it to cool for 5 minutes. Add this to the mixture , Squeeze lime juice and keep aside for a day.

6) The pickle leaves the juice and florets shrink a bit. Crispy, tangy and finger licking  pickel will be ready .
Transfer this in an air tight jar and refrigerate it. Stays for about 1-2 weeks.

13 comments:

  1. never heard of this pickle before.. sounds really spicy adn yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ann..true...Andhra is a place where u find varieties of pickles..Among them one is this spicy cauliflower pickle :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This pickle is too yummy...i tasted with hot hot rice and gheee...too good:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love crispy and tangy and i love Pickle so i sure will love this one!!!
    Hullo PAL,
    I love giveaways , as muc as u do!!!! So Am also here to tell u something interesting!!!
    SUper giveaway at this link...psst psst, am sure u love LE CRUESET ,dont ya?
    Well its jus one of the goodies u can chose:-))))

    http://brightmorningstarsfoodie.blogspot.com/2010/04/my-1st-sunshine-giveaway-thanxxx-aton.html
    end05/14

    and a few pans and cutters too...baking is fun aint it...[India Included]

    http://brightmorningstarsfoodie.blogspot.com/2010/05/summer-poemes-on-mothers-day365-jam.html
    ends05/28

    Follow the rules and ur on ur way to a good win-all the best to ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes krishna..I got addicted to this pickle..:P
    and thanks Sugar -Fairy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi depika
    thx for posting the recepie .i am glad that everyone is liking this recepie thx once again .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ur welcome kavi...expecting more recipes from u :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cauliflower pickle is something new to me, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know..it was new to me as well.. sometime ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quite interesting pickle.. will surely execute it.. looks tooo tempting dear.

    Pavithra

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Pavithra..Do let me know when u try this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wana try this one out !! Can ginger-garlic store bought paste be used??

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes sudha u can...but make sure that the pickle is preserved in the fridge..after a day or 2

    ReplyDelete