Thursday, March 18, 2010

Karnataka Delicacy - Spinach Dal

North Karnataka has a special tinge of flavor added to dals and chutneys. People who love spicy food should try north Karnataka food.  Mainly jolada bhakri/ jonna rotti with brinjal curry, chutneys and specially a dal which can be made with any leafy vegetable, generally the dal is referred as mudhipalya :).
 I wanted to make traditional dal which my grandmother used to make it, so I took the recipe from my cousin. It turned out well and everybody at my place enjoyed it.....thanks to my sis Shilpa :)


For the festival Ugadi I made the dal using raw mango instead of tamarind. Here is the recipe :





Ingredients :
Spinach/Palak - 2- 3 bunches / 1 packet
Toor Dal - 1 cup
Raw Mango pieces -  1/3 cup or mango seed with the pulp can be used for the tangy taste
green chillies - 5-6 ( can add even more )
turmeric - big pinch


Tempering:
cumin seeds- 1 tsp
mustard seeds - 1 tsp
asafoetida - a pinch
curry leaves - 1 sprig
Dry red chillies - 2
salt to taste
oil


Method :


1) Pressure cook the dal for 3 whistles 


2) In a pan put a drop of oil and saute green chillies and make a paste of it and keep aside.


3)Take 2 Tbsp oil and add finely chopped spinach, mango seed ( I used the remaining mango seed with the pulp)  . Mix well till the spinach turns to dark green color and then add the above paste, turmeric, dal and salt. Cook  this on medium for 15-20 minutes. add 1/3 cup of water if you feel the dal is too thick. 
I  prefer dal to be thick as it goes well with rotis also.


4) Finally prepare tempering and add  to the dal. Garnish it with coriander leaves.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dipika,
    I generally use tamarind in any kind of dal, but the idea to use mango instead of tamarind looks wonderful. Will definitely try this once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks Vasavi...sure try it for this Rama navami

    ReplyDelete